Sunday 7 January 2018

Difficult decisions

Sometimes as a Principal you are faced with tough calls.

I was Principal of a remote K-12 rural school.  It was at least 4 hours drive to the major capital city of Perth.  Before I became Principal my predecessor at the end of each term had let the young teachers on the last day go before normal finishing time so that they could make a head start to Perth for their vacations.  I felt this was troublesome on two counts. The first was that they were eager to get away and make the long and drive on narrow rural roads and I felt they may hurry too much.  The second was that they could be travelling in school time and if they had an accident they may not have been covered by workers' compensation insurance.

Before making a decision I contacted the Principal of a smaller rural school some kms up the road.  I asked what he was doing about this and he and I after some discussion decided not to let the teachers go early as had been the way of the past.  We wanted to be consistent across both our schools and he had the complication of a teacher on his staff who came daily from my town.  He was a strong Principal who would not have just agreed because I was in a sense his senior. It was a very unpopular decision, but there you are.

What would you have done?

Again as Principal of that K-12 school I was asked by the Lions Club (like Rotary) if they could have a big occasion in the school grounds.  I knew that there would be much alcohol consumed and also again considered the insurance claims if someone at the event were hurt.  I did not want to be responsible for the school grounds being used for an occasion where alcohol would be consumed in what could be large quantities. I said no to the request, explaining my concerns to those who had made the request.  This also was an unpopular decision.

What would you have done?

As a member of that rural community I was heavily involved in sport outside school and my wife and I, with the help of the school staff, put on one or two events (dinners) at the local sports club.  These were well patronised and everyone loved it. It was a great and giving community and if I ever needed something for the school the Parents and Citizens Association members were there to assist in spades.  I think it is fair to say that without bragging I gave my all to that community and they appreciated it in so many ways.  I offer this context to indicate that even if one is giving and participating it does not absolve one from the hard decisions.

Another big event was the annual school concert which was  smash hit with the local hall filled to capacity.  One of the year 12 performers one year decided to be a bit risqué adding to the script without consulting we the staff.  It was harmless, and knowing the quality of this young man the audience responded cheerfully.  Next day I received a reprimand from a visitor, who was a school Principal from the state of Victoria, and unbeknownst to me had been in the audience.  I took it on the chin but decided to tap into my community and phoned one of the most conservative parents who had been in the audience.  He felt it was all in good fun.  One never knows what each day will bring.

A further event was the passing over by the year 12s of the baton to the year 11s at an annual school ball.  These were also wonderful evenings.  We knew that some of the kids would try to smuggle in alcohol laced drinks and had people at the door checking this.  The students did try as predicted, bless their cotton socks. We however decided to allow a toast with wine at a crucial part of the dinner and had parent backing to do this.  It might seem a bit hypocritical given my rejection of the Lion's request however it was one small glass per senior student.

Would you have allowed this?

And so it goes on.  Being a Principal can be full of surprises and the distribution of tough love.  There are small lonely moments when one makes a tough decision.


May the Force be with you!



GD













No comments:

Post a Comment