Friday 24 February 2017

New South Wales gets tough on high school graduation

I note that NSW is going to require demonstration of the ability to compose effective writing before they will issue the school graduation certificate.  Good on them as I predict that it will help these students in the big wide world beyond school.  One serious rider is consideration for those with complex language learning difficulties like dyslexia.

This toughening up will also affect science, mathematics and ancient history.  A bout of rigour has broken out.  Are we seeing one of those all too regular full circle manoeuvres from the NSW Ed Dept?  I hope the change innovators have thought it through and will implement it using a change process that teachers can identify with.  Over my years as an educator I have witnessed so much waste of resources fiscal and human in ill-conceived educational change.

May the Force be with you!


GD

No comments:

Post a Comment