Thursday 14 April 2016

schoolprincipalship - tough, exciting, creative gig

Was a school principal and loved it.  It was a tough gig but it gave me every opportunity for innovation and creativity to lead a school staff team to build a school where students loved to come and where they were excited about learning. Could have done it a lot better but my memories leave me contented with what was achieved.

My bona fides to make any comments or suggestions on school principalship are to be found in my profile supporting this blog.

I want to add that the credo that underlined my career as an educator was that whatever I did it had to be for the betterment of learning for students.  I spent a couple of stints in Head Office as the A/Director of Personnel responsible for the working conditions of all Ed Dept employees and for staffing the schools and as an A/Director of Operations responsible for several school districts.  It was a real effort in a Head Office environment to live by my credo and not become weighed down by the bureaucracy.

Anyhow hullo my principal colleagues out there.  You have the best job in an educator's career.

I want my blog to be a place where you can come and sound off if you are frustrated with the pressures that I observe you experiencing in the new independent government schools and in government schools in general.  I am certain these pressures are also there for my non-government school colleagues.

I am currently just completing a small book or treatise if you will on how to assess schools for effectiveness.  I am willing to share my ideas with you.  It is not about "things were better in the old days": it is about my practical experiences tempered by the advice of research on assessing a school for effectiveness and an insatiable desire to keep up to date with what is happening in school education at least across Australia.  I miss it all.

Hope to hear from you and that I can be of some assistance if only as a sounding board.






No comments:

Post a Comment